I asked myself what would happen if we lived in a colorless
society. We wouldn’t have to check a box on the census form to determine who we
are. The president wouldn’t have to pretend he is solely African American based
on the one drop of black blood rule created during slavery, denying the
existence of his mother’s family. In a
colorless society, we wouldn’t’ be judged by the color of our skin when
applying for a job and housing. There wouldn’t be any racial profiling or
racial crimes as seen in Spike Lee’s movie, Do the
Right Thing, that came out in 1989, but speaks volumes about what is happening
in our society today.
I just finished reading the
book, Don’t Bring Home a White Boy: and
Other Notions that Keep Black Women from Dating Out, by one of my favorite
authors, Karyn Langhorne Folan. Just the
title of this book should have you curious about the content. It is the subtitle
that says it all. There are old beliefs or notions that keep some black women
from interracial dating, and especially in today’s racial charged climate. But
in a colorless society we don’t have that problem. You can date whomever you
want to because we are all the same---spirits made in the image of the Creator.
The body is our space suit to inhabit this planet. We change it every time we
visit this planet; sometimes we wear a black, brown, white or yellow one. But
the spirit always remains the same. I heard through the spiritual grapevine,
that the Creator is thinking about changing all those old ones for a new
one---it’s colorless.
Oh no, I hear a ringing. It’s my alarm clock. Looking at my
brown arms, I realized I was back into my color space suit and have to check
the race box on the census. I’m not into politics, so I can check several of
these boxes. I’m not leaving out any of my ancestors.

No comments:
Post a Comment