Several
months ago, my father received the results of his DNA Ancestry PatriClan Test, describing how one of
his ancestors was of the Yoruba tribe of Nigeria . I had already known of my mother’s heritage,
being a blend of African, Native American and European. However, the most intriguing discovery of my
genealogical search through oral history and documents was my ancestors’
involvement in spirituality and religion.
Several of them had been founders of
Christian churches, ministers, deacons, church clerks, and Mothers of the
church. They were also gifted prophets and clairvoyants. My maternal
great-grandmother was an herbalist, healer, mid-wife, embalmer, and poet.
Because of my own strong interest and
involvement in all things metaphysical and spiritual, I wanted to know more
about the spirituality of my indigenous ancestors.
Then
Soyinka Iyako Ogunbusola came into my life.
I thought about Soyinka and her presence in my
life and knew that meeting her was no coincidence. The Universe knows when to
send the right people into your life, put you in the right place or give you
the right lesson to master.
Soyinka practices the West African spiritual
traditions of the Yoruba people called IFA, and has gone through the rites of
passage of Ancestral Veneration into Egungun priesthood, an ancient ancestral
secret society. She has traveled through
West Africa continuing her extensive studies of African spiritual systems and performed
libations ceremonies in Cape coast, Elima slave dungeons in Ghana , Gorey Island ,
Senegal , and James Island
in Gambia .
Soyinka had participated also in the rituals of the Fon people of Togo .
Beyond
Deceptions Myths and Lies is Soyinka’s historical account of the
traditional African and Caribbean spiritual
systems. Soyinka’s second book, Ancestral
Memories, recounts her travels through West Africa .
You can read one of Soyinka’s articles
titled, West Africa’s Orisha and
Astrology at http://relijournal.com/paganism/west-africas-orisha-and-astrology/.
I’m looking forward to following the path of
African and Native American spiritual systems. Just as a teacher has appeared
for my African studies, I have faith that the Universe will send me a guide, an
angel, a feather or whatever I need to follow the path of the Great Spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment