It was easy for me to select Octavia Butler (1947-2006), a renowned
science fiction writer, for National Women’s History Month. Ms. Butler has
always been one of my favorite writers. As I researched her life, I learned a
lot about this astonishing author. I not only selected her because of her great
works, having been the recipient of both two Hugo Awards from the World Science
Fiction Society and two Nebula Awards from the Science Fiction Writers of
America, but also because of her strong character.
At the age of twelve she watched what she considered a bad
science fiction movie on T.V. At that moment she decided she could write a better
story. And she did. In 1995, Octavia
became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Fellowship. Her
writing became her life. She did not let being an African American woman
writing in a genre dominated by white males, or that she’d dyslexia deter her
from her life’s purpose of writing.
You only have to read her books to appreciate, her writing
skills, style and her powerful imagination. Humanitarian causes, social issues, and especially women
rights meant a lot to her. These themes are prevalent in her books.
My favorite book is Kindred.
In this book, she tells the story of a modern-day black woman who travels
back in time to antebellum South to save the life of a white, slave-holding ancestor.
Skillfully written, she puts you into that time period with its pain, cruelty,
and hatred that black people had to endure. Equally as skillful was the
transition of the main character from one time period to another.
In an interview with The Los Angeles Times in 1998, Octavia Butler
said, “I’m black, I’m solitary, I’ve always been an outsider.” And she was all
of those things, but her legacy lives on and she has opened the door for countless
writers who inspire to follow in her footsteps.
No comments:
Post a Comment