Google+ Followers

Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Odd Life of Timothy Green and Science Fiction and Fantasy: How Well Did It Work?


I went to see the movie, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, because it was tagged as a science fiction/fantasy movie. With my new book, Five Days of Darkness, being released on 8/23/12, I wanted to see how Hollywood handled this genre. Before going, I looked up the definition of Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature on Wikipedia because I wanted to give the movie  and my book the litmus test. Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginary but more or less plausible (or at least non-supernatural) content such as future settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, aliens, and paranormal abilities. And Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting.  

The movie did meet the Science Fiction and Fantasy genre with a child appearing from a garden with leaves on his legs. I thought he was going to have some super powers, but he didn’t. He was just an honest, loving kid that changed the lives of others with his good nature. The story was so compelling until you could easy forget the fantasy tale of where he can from. Yes, I thought to myself, this is what I aimed for in my book. The reader will get so wrapped up in the human interest story of Charlie, an autistic child with telepathic abilities or winged serpents inhabiting human bodies, that for a short time, they will be caught up in the wonderful world of magic and supernatural phenomena. Also like the The Odd Life of Timothy Green, Five Days of Darkness has a profound message of how human love can defeat evilness.

Five Days of Darkness now on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment