Google+ Followers

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

National Poetry Month

National Poetry Month is a celebration of poetry first introduced in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States. It is celebrated every April in the United States. Throughout this month I will be posting poetry, so come back and enjoy the wonderful poetry of local and national poets.  


Living
Oh, what a beautiful thing.
I didn’t know how blessed I was until I woke hearing the birds chirp,
Seeing the sun rising and smelling the lilies blooming.
Oh, what a beautiful thing
I didn’t know how blessed I was until I felt the warm heart beats of the
Ones I love and walked in the shoes of my neighbors and friends.
Oh, what a beautiful thing.
I didn’t know how blessed I was until I stretched my mind
To see beyond the ordinary and reach out for the unattainable.
Oh, what a beautiful thing,
I didn’t know how blessed I was until I released the shackles
That bound my mind that kept my body in bondage.
Oh, what a beautiful thing----Life
Anonymous 


When the world seems to be blowing apart
while I'm outside in a crowd, on the bus, riding in the car from one place
to another, watching the aggravation and discourtesy and plain meanness
of folks, I put the key into our front door, open it and
there is pure and simple beauty and peace. It's as if this old house, that
has been the epicenter of our lives, has warm arms that embrace with
goodness, kindness, love - and I am, at last, home!
I sit in the rocker facing the door and marvel at the comfort and pleasures
of this house and all of the pitter-patters, the laughter, the tears, happiness
and joys, the memories it holds and I am whole again.
I believe loving, growing, guiding and teaching goes on as long as we all
live. . .and beyond. It's impossible to tell you how absolutely miraculous
it is to have you to love, to grow with, to teach (as you, still, teach us) and
to guide you (you oftentimes guide us). Jackie Gleason said it succinctly,
"how sweet it is!"
We have been privileged to see, firsthand, the amazing power of the hu-
man spirit as we've watched you struggle desperately to live good lives
and to be successful in your diverse careers. What a wonder!
I want to thank you for choosing us as your parents (it, indeed, I believe,
was your choice) and know that we did our very best, enjoying the many
moments we shared together in this old house filled with Memories.


Ruth Owens
 





No comments:

Post a Comment